by Margaret Young
The memorial is situated in Station Road Wargrave near the parish church. Erected in 1920 it is made of Portland stone and designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. It is one of 44 of Lutyens’ freestanding war memorials in the UK and is Grade II listed. More details
Berkshire has two more of the 44 Lutyens’ memorials — the Grade II* listed Royal Berkshire Regiment Cenotaph at Brock Barracks in Reading, and the Grade II listed memorial in the north chapel of Wellington College, Crowthorne.
OS ref SU784784